My first post, medical illness, not using prescriptions any more!

This is my first post...
    I have a chronic disease, and other serious illness, and the problem I have is pain constant. Physically my body craves the release of pain...so I take pills that are prescribed by my doctor. I am beginning to have liver problems so I wanted to clean my system of chemicals and get off, but this is hard. Its been almost 72 hours, and even though I don't mentally crave these, my body is begging me to hide this pain. The physical withdrawl is making me feel even worse! I have been taking Ibroprophen, seems to help a little, but I can't sleep! Some of the insomnia is from my illness, and some from chemical withdrawl (atleast I think).
    I can tell my body is cleaning out, but I read that it can take up to 5 days or more...ugh! I have been using these medications since my surgery about 2 years ago. I wanted to get off, before I got in too deep. Please pray for me, dealing with medical problems (pain) is going to be really hard, since I have chosen to not medicate the pain any longer with prescribed medications.

Reneec, you should come over and read some of the posts on the main thread, "How to Beat the Hydrocodone Addiction" There are alot of good people with good advice on that thread. Also read some of Patrick's articles on the main site.

You say you have a chronic disease and have had surgery, do you mind sharing what exactly is wrong with you physically? Unless it's too personal, but it does help those of us that don't know your medical condition to get the full picture. Now the Important part of the post...CONGRATULATIONS on deciding to go chemical free and for being clean for 72 hours! That's absolutely awesome! Easy...NO, but so worth it in the long run. Day three was the worst in my case. Everyon is different. Day 1 - 5 was HARD, 3 was the worst, but even now at around 80 days I still have some ups and down emotionally. But every day it's easier. Every day you feel more like yourself. It does get better.

The insomnia was super hard for me too. I already had insomnia prior to withdrawing, but when I stopped my hydro's...even my ambien wasn't helping me as well as I would have liked. I will say that my ambien and benadryl got me through the sleeplessness part. I just wanted to sleep, sleep, sleep and wake up and everyone be back to normal. Of course it didn't work like that, but you have to find a system that works for you and stick with it. Whatever your health problems, you have to be honest with your doctor, stay hydrated, sleep alot, move around and do things as much as you can both physically and mentally. Keep yourself busy. I had an obsession with taking baths. The hot water felt so grat on my muscle spasms and relaxed me. Some people stand in the shower. Whatever works for you.

And post, post, post...whever you feel down or up or worried or sad or happy...we are here to listen!! Check out our other forum and again, welcome and good luck. You can do it!!!
    Serena

"When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top"