Page 39 of 83 First ... 29373839404149 ... Last

Laugh away!!!! I am a true believer that the fine line between tragedy and comedy is usually just perspective. I tell my friends all the time "My life is a sitcom & I'm just waiting for the royalty checks."

Beth, I'm sorry you had such a tough day. I'm not sure what you are thanking me for but I'm glad I was able to be of some help to you. I'm intrigued about your "more on that later" post, looking forward to it. I'm so glad you read that article, I printed it out and am going to be handing it to several people I know. I really hope people get a chance to read it, it's an instruction manual in how to win at life! My wish is that the rest of your day goes exactly the way you want it to.

Fiona, I'm commenting here on your posts in the How to stop drinking thread. You really have a great ability to express yourself and have a great understanding of what makes people tick. Your advice to Bryan about people being jealous of others improving themselves is very insightful! My grandfather used to say there's more than one way to skin a cat, thanks for your interpretation.

Hey all .... got my walk in today, so I'm still here . And I managed to make it though an Academy Award party last night without drinking. Wish I could say the same for not eating the cake.

Ken - excellent article - thanks for sharing. I'm not sure where you come up with all of your great resources, but I'm grateful to you for taking the time to share with all of us!

Beth - Yep, I'd say a 5 mile walk from the car repair shop counts as your exercise today. The crying jag probably didn't enhance the experience, I would imagine. I'm sorry, but I had a bit of a chuckle with your story. A similar thing happened to me several years ago and I started walking the 4 miles home due to 'pride and stupidity'. I just assumed a neighbor would pass me by at some point and offer a ride .... I made it all the way home as car after car passed me by, some even honked and waved. I wasn't thinking about my future though, just the bottle of wine that waited for me at home. Later I heard from a number of neighbors that everyone assumed I was intentionally out for exercise and impressed with how far I'd gone - put me off walking for a while!

Fiona - thanks for sticking with us on the exercise. I'm going to give that Forbidden Rice a try .... always looking for something different to cook and I'm worth it. I'm still trying to get to that Pilates class and am looking for a new writer of my sitcom!

Sylvane - we're almost there!!

John - of course you can join us. Remember we've only committed to 20 minutes a day ... yardwork, housework, washing the car etc. count if you put a little extra effort into it.

Dreamweaver - so happy to see you've been resurrected Great job on the weight loss - you are my hero for continuing to make healthy choices while you endured your personal challenges. I envy your strength!

I think we've lost Milly and Erin and Sue??? If anyone has any contact with them, give them a kick in the pants and tell them to get back on board.

Morning everyone ... I'm off to the gym to humiliate myself in Zumba again ...

Beth, I'm thinking about you today and hoping this is a better day for you ....

Good morning! I'm way, way off the wagon on this challenge, and thought to myself how I never even started the RAoK challenge that I commented on a week ago. Tonight, I'm moving the alarm clock from my side of the bed to the other side of the room. Hopefully that will keep me from hitting the snooze button 7 times. Sadly, that's not even an exaggeration!! There's other factors happening, too, that I prefer not to make public, but really it's just all excuses. If I really wanted to meet this challenge, I would. I feel like I'm pushing against the force of a train sometimes. But the good news is I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, so I guess that means I'm more powerful than a locomotive (to keep the corny analogy going).

I hope everyone has a great day and gets their 20 minutes in! I'm still reading and following, trying to find that push I need! I find it super-irritating that I'm posting "I'm here, but not doing my challenge," but you asked where I was! lol

Erin,
    Same thing here, so don't feel bad.
    I'm down sick with a cold right now and it's snowing here so I'm going to give in and enjoy "bed central" today.

Congrats to all of you for sticking with this challenge and I will join you again when I'm back on my feet!

Sue

Morning Everyone. Erin & Sue believe me we know how hard it is to get motivated! Hang in there. My best motivation is when I know you guys are here but are not pushing me so I feel worse. So just know we are here for you guys too!
    I joined this thread to push myself in more than just the minimum, I have been trying to do that but my next step is to take a class at the Y. That is a big goal for me since I see how isolated I have become by my closet drinking. We shall see how I do at accomplishing that.....

So thanks for all the support on my experience yesterday, you all made me smile. I am doing better today. My car is ready and am waiting for the shuttle to come get me. Although I did think about walking or biking up there.... I really feel good today... No pain at all in my legs.

John, Great job on the swim. I'd love to get there! But have to over come my fear of being seen in a bathing suit. I know Jillian will get me there hard work out but I am really seeing results.

Good morning everyone and welcome back Erin, we missed you! I had no intention of working out today until I came here this morning. I couldn't post due to connection problems, so I took a long hot shower until every drop of hot water had been drained and thought about how great you were all doing and had a change of heart. I'm going to really push it and do lunges with weights today, keeping in mind not to over do it for once until I see how I feel tomorrow. I don't want one of those too sore to move days on day two that I'm famous for.

Thanks for the motivation gang, I'm grateful for each one of you. Beth, I'm so glad you're feeling better today! Sue I'm going to try to figure out how to email you some chicken soup, hope you feel better soon!

So its National Pancake Day & IHOP was giving away free short stacks & it wasn't a tough sell from my kids for dinner. We had a little breakfast protein and some fruit to balance it out...but I didn't get my outside work out done because it is raining again, so tonight I utilized some of the equipment I bought during moments of motivated exercise fantasy. So 15mins on the stationary bike & 10 with the medicine balls. From now on exercise before pancakes...blech

Julie & Beth - can't get this song outta my head after Beth's excursion Monday. But must say I feel totally justified knowing at least 3 of us had the same reaction at one point or another. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2hR-rOukbU

Sylvane, did you at least get a cape with the title?

Ok, so moving the alarm clock worked. I still had the urge to hit snooze and lay back down, but didn't. Day 1 down.

Hey yall, here's an article I ran across today that fits in great here: http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/200...ys-to-success/ It's called 30 Days To Success and has some good points in it.

Going to walk today as my legs are sore from lunges yesterday but I an going to lift weights tonight. John, you are making me want to rejoin the YMCA so I can swim. I was a lifeguard during my college summers and love the water, I've got to move to the beach! The Mississippi River doesn't qualify as one, too dirty and dangerous. Julie and Beth, where are you?!?

I got my walk in between rain showers.

Sylvane, there seems to be several "Super Moderators" now gracing the forum:-)

Ken - another great article

aaagh .... counted on being able to walk tonight but it's been pouring rain, and I just saw lightening .... I really, really can't stop now, so am going to go to the basement and dust off the stationary bike - I don't want to, but this challenge is working in that I will make myself go - can you guys tell I'm procrastinating by writing here??

Anyway, Erin & Sue - thanks for checking in. Great job getting started again Erin - we'll stick with you.
    Ken - as always, thanks for the article -another good one.
    Fiona - thanks for the vintage link. I'm mourning Davy Jones today, who I was going to marry when I was 10 years old - I remember praying that I wouldn't get any taller (I think he was only 5'2"). I ended up 6'
    John - keep it up!! I'm going to swim tomorrow - if this rain keeps up I won't even have to leave the neighborhood!
    Sylvane - you are Super!
    Beth - you OK today?

OK, enough .... off to ride the damn bike....

Hi All, Checking in! All is good. Can anyone say kettlebell?! That was my 50 minute workout tonight. So check day 8 for me (if we say Feb only has 28 days then I'm 28!)
    So how was it you ask... it was fun. A great workout..... a little easier than Jillian because a lot less jumping.There was 6 of us taking the class and the workout really isnt bad because the instructor kept changing it up. I used a 5 lb kettlebell so we will see I I feel tomorrow.
    Fiona, love that song!
    So happy we are all sticking with this. Probably easier knowing Spring is just around the corner and we are not going to get healthy and in shape if we don't stick with it!
    Still in my first 30 day zero tolerance with massive action sobriety period and I am fighting hard to not fall off the cliff. This is the hardest thing I have ever had to do.... but I am staying the course. I know that me being part of this thread is helping me stay sane. Can't thank you all enough!!!!
    So.... Sylvane & Julie, will you start another 30 day challenge on March 2nd? If so, we need to let the main thread know. The more the better I say. Right?

Hey Sylvane, I like the idea of starting fresh March 2. That's not what I meant but you really should take a day off! Julie what do you think? Should we all start counting 30 days together tomorrow? I will probably walk the dog today but that will be it.... took 2 Aleve this morning just in case I need them
    Traveling all day today but will check back late tonight.
    Have a safe, sober, healthy day all!

Hi everyone! Day 2 for me, and I actually didn't mind getting up to shut the clock off. I also got that "Ahhh" feeling of accomplishment after I finished exercising. Finally! I didn't have that at all during the last 8 or 9 days I managed.

Great job to all of you who have stuck with it! I bet you're feeling better and you have something to be proud of!

I started a news fast today, needed a little peace and quiet time. This morning I woke up and watched Charlie Rose interview William Shatner, who is 80 years old! I enjoyed it and started my day on a positive note instead of all the tragedies I usually start my day with. I really need to do some stretching, is yoga the best thing for that or should I find a stretching routine before my usual workout? Any advice would be appreciated!

Beth, I haven't seen the Jillian workout, but I did check out P90X. I would only recommend it to someone that is already in great shape and has been exercising regularly. Lots of jumping, awkward positions, and chance of injury. It incorporates weights and aerobics at the same time. I'm sure it works great for shredding that last little bit of weight off so you can show off your abs, but I have just a little ways to go before I'm ready for that! I definitely need a kettle bell.

Going to run today and lift weights, shoulders and back today. Have a good work out everyone.

Ken - The short answer - any stretching you do regularly is good. I started doing yoga because my mom, my dad and my uncle all had back surgery with in a few years of each other, right around 50, and I said, "Screw that." So I have been doing yoga off and on for 20yrs. I kept doing it because when I am in the right class, I feel both mentally and physically strong, and I get pretty toned. But there are so many variations anymore you have to find the one that fits you.

As for general stretching, its better to start off slow with whatever exercise you're doing (i.e. jog 1/4 mile before you run, do a couple reps with a lighter weight) and stretch afterward. The main exercise constricts the muscles, so stretching after lengthens them and looses them back up. Plus it helps release the lactic acid so there is less soreness.

Hope that helps.

Inspired by the first day of my favorite month and the progress you all are making, I'm back!
    Still have some coughing/sneezing from the cold that knocked me down this week, but I can do 30 minutes in the gym for sure.

I've also started using My Fitness Pal again (free phone app) to track weight, food and exercise each day. I recommend it if you have it available! It will help to keep me honest and on track.

Page 39 of 83 First ... 29373839404149 ... Last