Add this infographic to your site with the code below:
- The greatest increase in heroin use is seen in young adults aged 18-25.
- Such individuals seeking treatment for heroin abuse increased from 11 percent of total admissions in 2008 to 26 percent in the first half of 2012.
- Of the 17,000 new Hepatitis C infections occurring in the United States in 2010, over half (53 percent) were among Injection Drug Users.
- Heroin abuse doubled from 214,000 in 2002 to 467,000 in 2012.
- It is estimated that as many as 150,000 emergency room visits each year are due to heroin addiction or in some involved heroin use, equaling about 14 percent of all ER visits.
- Only 1 in 10 Americans with addiction receives treatment.
- 1 in 7 Americans ages 12+ have struggle with addiction.
- More than 90% of people with addiction began smoking, drinking or using other drugs before age 18.
- Currently, Baltimore is the heroin capital of the United States. Government agencies estimate that as many as 1 in 10 of the city’s residents are addicted to the drug.
- Opiates, mainly heroin, were involved in four out of every five drug-related deaths in Europe.
- Opiates, mainly heroin, account for 18% of the admissions for drug and alcohol treatment in the US.